¡Trekking inside the highest mountain of the world near the sea!
From $1.100.000COP Colombian Pesos
The lost city was a traditional ceremony sacred place for the Tayronas and is located inside the National Park Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta and National Park Tayrona. Declared by UNESCO as a Biosphere reservoir and Humanity Patrimony in 1979. The access is strictly walking since it was discovered in 1974, this avoid many people to transit it and allow the proper conservation and its charm.
The trek can be done in 4, 5 or 6 days, the choice depends on how much time do you have available and the distance that you want and can do in a day.
Terrain: wide paths, made of sand, soil, stone or wood. On several times the river must be crossed. Distance: average per day 8 km. for the 4 and 5 day options there will be a day of 13km approximately. Temperature and weather: Humid, between 15º and 30º C. Altitude: 140m to 1200m
8:30am:The 4WD vehicle will pick you at your hotel in Santa Marta or Taganga or the meetingpoint that we arrange with the driver.
We will take the main road to Guajira for about three hours to the town called Machete Pelao. We will pass by the main entrance of the Tayrona Park and start seeing the wonders of the Sierra, where the huge stone arms reach the sea.
12:00pm Light lunch in the village before the trek. Walk for 30 minutes to a natural pool whereyou can swim and enjoy nature. Then begins the walk for three hours to the Alfredo hut where you will spend the first night in hammocks (beds available depending capacity) with mosquito nets and wool blankets. A full meal is prepared and before resting, the guide will find the whole group to make a briefing about the next day.
Tropical birds will wake us up with their singing, and after breakfast we will jump back to the trail for today. The path will drive us with local histories, multicolor fauna and flora and amazing views from the Sierra´s heart. We will pass throw the Mutanzi town, then arrive to the Camp 2 where we are going to have lunch and rest.
After lunch we will keep going until camp 3, where the “mamo Romualdo” (wise men), this will be our resting point for this day. At the end of the afternoon we will have our dinner.
La Sierra wake us up with its vibrant life, we will enjoy a nice breakfast and get ready to begin the important way that we have for today, where we will adventure up the 1200 stairs that give access to the ancient Teyuna city.
Once we enter the city, we will make a travel to the past, feeling the great energy present in the centenary stone walls, our steps will transit the sacred places where the ancient people live their current tasks or participate in holy rituals. In a respectful way the guide will be sharing with us all the histories that will invite us to live as in the ancient days.
We will go out renewed from this special place and start the way back to camp 3, where we will have lunch. Then, we will walk back until camp 2. This will be the resting point for the day after the earned dinner.
We fill up with energy with the powerful breakfast that our guides will have ready for us and then start the way back to Mamey, where big celebration lunch will be waiting for us.
The 4WD vehicle will take us back to our hotel in Santa Marta or the place you need, we will arrive in the afternoon hours.
All packages include:
- The transport from and to Santa Marta or Taganga (we pick you up at your hotel) Complete alimentation
- Local Guide legally accepted by the National Park Travel and assistance insurance
- Accommodation in beds, hammocks or tents depending the availability Entrance to the arqueological zone
- Contribution to the indigenous communities of the area Mule to carry the food and the cooking hardware.
Mules for personal things, is recommended to carry as few things as you can. You will not need much.
Services not specified before.
- Your clouding must be for hot weather, the temperature during the day can be between24 to 28 C degrees.
- A very good hat and sunscreen.
- Comfortable shoes: if you are used to walk with trekking shoes that would be good, no need of boots except if you are used to need the high support for the ankle.
- A pair of socks for each day, as the weather is very humid, is important to try to walk with dry feet as much as we can.
- A pair of sandals for crossing the rivers, we must cross several rivers during the trek and is a good idea to cross them with sandals as the rivers have small stones uncomfortable for the bare feet.
- We always prefer to wear long sleeve shirts to avoid sun burns in my arms and mosquitoes, but this is up to you and how you are used to walk more comfortable in this hot weather.
- Also you can decide to make this trek with shorts or with trousers, some people prefer shorts to get along with the hit, I prefer trousers that are very light, so I can avoid some mosquitoes.
- A set of clothing for sleep, at night it gets chilly on the Sierra.
- You can bring a strong mosquito repellent or buy it here, there are some good ones available.
- Remember that for this trek you will not need much, and you will have to carry your things in a small backpack.
- A microfiber towel or easy dry
- No sleeping needed for this lost city trek.
- Food, water, bedding will be supplied and carried by a mule. You just have to carry your clothes and one liter of water for the day. Head lamp with extra batteries
- Camera with enough batteries, the energy supply is very limited.
- For the personal health care elements, please bring just the ones that are eco-friendly. Summing suit (we will be able to swim in rivers, natural pools and waterfalls)
- Plastic bags or dry bags to keep our clothes and things always dry. Comfortable back pack between 25-30 liters.
Private transport from or to Palomino, Riohacha. Day trip to the National Park Tayrona
One day one night to relax in the place Los Naranjos, between the salty sea water and the sweet water that comes down the Sierra Nevada.